The Pinetree School’s mission statement:
To provide a safe, supportive and personalised learning environment that enables all pupils to reach their full academic, social and emotional potential; to become responsible and valued members of society.
- To develop personal and social skills alongside subject knowledge and understanding. (key skills highlighted using word clouds below)
- To ensure differentiated, sequential and layered knowledge using bronze, silver, gold and platinum targets in each lesson
- To enrich the quality of education through trips, activities and Theme days.
- To prepare every pupil for subject-specific progression through national qualifications (Entry Level, Functional Skills and GCSE) and the competencies identified within the programmes of study.
The curriculum at The Pinetree School:
- Is broad and rich, giving all pupils the opportunity to follow the core and foundation subjects of the national curriculum at KS3 and KS4. Pupils work towards a range of accreditations and qualifications including Functional Skills and GCSEs.
- The curriculum is extended to develop literacy, numeracy and SEMH skills through 1-1 sessions. Further bespoke opportunities are provided for pupils to access Work Experience (KS4) and/or 14-16 vocational courses offered by local Alternative Providers.
- Subject Leaders have a degree of autonomy to structure and plan their teaching of the curriculum because of the knowledge and expertise they have in their subject.
- The formal curriculum is delivered through a 33 lessons-a-week timetable where each lesson lasts 40 minutes. This is supplemented by additional regulated sessions that include, Extended Learning sessions – these are 20 minutes long and pupils are timetabled into these sessions so that no child spends more than 1 session a day out of core lessons and CAIG.
The 2018-19 core curriculum offer for KS3 and KS4 is as follows: